“Lucy” review: What happens after 10 percent?

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Lucy” review: What happens after 10 percent?

Becca Hensley, Staff writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






It’s said that humans use only 10 percent of their brain’s capacity. Ever wonder what it would be like to be able to access the other 90 percent?
This past July, “Lucy” by Luc Besson explored that possibility of what life could be like if we could all gain access to more than a sliver of our brain’s capacity.
Scarlett Johansson (as Lucy) is our main vessel into this world of science fiction and adventure. Morgan Freeman (as Samuel Norman) is the secondary vessel.
Lucy is just an average college student trying to get b, and Samuel is a scientist trying to figure out how the brain works. Lucy’s ex-boyfriend is the man who turns Lucy’s whole life a bit upside down when he hands her over to drug traffickers to save himself.
Lucy is just one of about six people who were forced to hide a bag of drugs (CPH4) in their lower intestinal area in order to discreetly traffic the bags through airport security and into other countries. However, Lucy’s journey takes that drastic plunge into science fiction when her bag gets burst open during complications in transport.
That is when the movie starts to really show the audience what is possible in this world where an individual gains access to more than 10 percent of his or her brain.
In a world created around the unknown, these characters really help keep the movie grounded.
The actors themselves are well liked and have played in many successful and believable roles.
“Lucy”’s characters aren’t any different and don’t disappoint. The characters really blossom in their world and are believable in their reactions to what happens in their life, especially when Lucy is being taken hostage by drug traffickers.
As an English major, I’m no expert on whether or not any of the science is accurate or skewed; however, I can say that Luc Besson’s Lucy staring Morgan Freeman as Samuel Norman and Lucy as Scarlett Johansson is an interesting one to say the least when not questioning the science.
The characters are interesting and believable and the science presents itself with some pretty hardcore visuals that resemble “The Matrix.” If science fiction and action are your thing, I would say “Lucy” could be a good movie to go see.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email